frequently asked questions

COVID-related frequently asked questions

Support for Kansans (Individuals and Families)

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo.

Direct support is available for many key needs including childcare, rent, & utilities.

Direct support is available for many key needs including childcare, rent, & utilities.

Kansans who earned less than $75,000 in 2019 will receive a direct payment of $600 per person and eligible child. Kansans who earned more than $75,000 and less than $87,000 will receive reduced payments, and those who earned more than $87,000 will not receive a direct payment. You can check whether you are eligible and the status of your payment here. Direct payments come from the federal government, and any additional payments will have to be passed in Congress.

Support for Kansans (Organizations)

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo.

The Consolidated Appropriations Act that passed in December 2020 refunded several programs that your organization may be eligible for.

      • Paycheck Protection Program (forgivable loans to small businesses intended to enable employers to retain and pay their employees; more information here)
        • Eligibility: Small business with 500 or fewer employees that did not receive funding in 2020 are eligible for up to $10M in PPP loans, and small businesses with 300 or fewer employees may apply for up to $2M in loans. All applicants must demonstrate at least a 25% decrease in revenue from 2019 to 2020. Eligibility information can be found here
        • How to apply: Find a lender here or work with your current financial institution
        • How to apply for forgiveness: Work with your lender to submit the required forms and supporting documents. A key change made in the rejuvenated PPP is that borrowers of less than $150,000 can now self-certify that they used the funds appropriately with a single page form and no supporting documents.
      • Economic Injury Disaster Loans (loans for businesses experiencing a temporary loss of revenue; more information here).
        • Eligibility: Small businesses with 500 or fewer employees, private non-profits, and 501(c)19 veterans groups that have sustained an economic injury
        • How to apply: Apply directly to the SBA here  
      • Coming soon: Reimbursements for lost revenue for live venues (movie theaters, concert halls, etc.)
      • Coming soon: Reimbursements for healthcare providers for health care expenses

Federal Funding

    • There are several federal programs that provide funding to the public, which were created by Congress and are administered by several organizations. In 2020, Kansas  were 4 main streams of funding into Kansas in 2020 for COVID relief:


      • COVID Relief Funding (CRF):  The state government, through SPARK and the State Finance Council, had full discretion on how to allocate this funding (see where it ended up here)
      • The Paycheck Protection Program: The national government, through the Small Business Administration and Treasury, administers the program through local financial institutions. This program provides forgivable loans to small businesses to help them pay their employees. On the other hand, unemployment insurance relief is administered by the Department of Labor.
      • Direct rebate: Congress determined that eligible individuals would receive $1,200
      • Program specific funding: The federal government, through agencies, determine funding amounts for education, eviction protection, broadband, and more. Specific program decisions were made by the administering entity, which was usually a state agency.

    • The same funding streams were made available in 2021, with the exception of the CRF. There is no discretionary amount of funding given to the state for allocation.
    • The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act was the bill that passed in March 27, 2020, while the latest round of COVID relief came from the Consolidated Appropriations Act (CAA) that passed on December 27, 2021. Probably the most important difference for Kansans is that the CAA only included a $600 check per person (vs. $1200 in the CARES act). Some of the existing programs have also had expanded eligibility, including:

      • Paycheck Protection Program: Hospitality businesses are eligible for a higher amount and now 501(c)(6)s, direct marketing organizations, and housing cooperatives can apply
      • Rental and utility assistance: Housing assistance will now include utilities, and help renters cover arrears and expected future payment challenges
      • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program: These payments have increased by 15% for the next 6 months

Every Kansan who made less than $75,000 in 2019 will receive a $600 rebate, including $600 per qualifying child. Payments reduce by $5 for every $100 in income over $75,000.

We are continuing to monitor developments that could increase funding for Kansas and Kansans


Currently Kansas is in phase 2 of the vaccine rollout, meaning people over 65 years old, who live in congregate settings, high-contact critical care workers, and groups eligible from Phase I may receive the vaccine. The first phase included healthcare workers, residents/patients in longterm care facilities, and workers critical to the pandemic response. Local health departments make the final prioritization decisions. Additional information can be found here

The vaccine is very safe. Safety was the key priority at every step of the vaccine development. External experts reviewed data from trials during development, then the Food and Drug Administration separately reviewed the vaccines for safety and efficacy. There were no serious safety concerns at any stage of development for any of the currently approved vaccines. The only serious problem are rare allergic reactions that occur in some people, in the same way that some people have severe reactions to bee-stings or peanut butter. Anyone who has had serious allergic reactions (anaphylaxis) to injectables or other vaccines should discuss their situation with their doctor. Additional information can be found here and here.


Find both free and paid testing sites near you here.

At these free testing sites, you only need your name, phone number, or email. ID and insurance are not required. You can make an appointment online (preferred) or just show up.

COVID cases by county are reported every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday here.

Skip to content